A Prayer of Comfort: Psalm 27

A prayer of Comfort:
Parts of Psalm 27
The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?

...For he will hide me in his shelter in the day of trouble; he will conceal me under the cover of his tent; he will set me high on a rock.

I believe that I shall see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

I have recently witnessed a plethora of arguments against "let go, let God." I wonder if people who do so see it from the same perspective that I do.

I understand it as an expression of God's sovereignty against my tendency to control. I am a person of high anxiety. I stress and as a result I tend to take on too much, as though personally, I carry the sins of the world; and I don't, only Jesus does.

My Grandmother was the first person to ever say that expression to me. She did so because she saw this troublesome characteristic in me even as a young child.

I think it was the result of having too much responsibility at too young an age. Because of the situations of my life, I had to, I just did. The trouble is that I never let go. I often think of her words when life gets too much for me, and the weight I carry is more than I should.

This Psalm is a centering song for me that I repeat to myself time and again. When times are dark, too hard or too much, it is good for me to remember that God is the only stronghold of my life, he will keep me from harm and allow me to see the goodness of the Lord, here and now.

Pastor John

Comments