A week of Prayers for Comfort: Be with Me, Lord:


Maureen Pratt wrote, "O Lord, I am torn up with grief. I know you are there, but I cannot see past my sorrow and tears. Be with me, Lord... guide me through these dark days and bring your light to my life, so that I may see your goodness, even in my mourning."

At this time in our community, there is cause for great grief. Grief is not a fixed point, rather, it is a point we pass through. We get over it by moving beyond it. We cannot avoid it, we must go through it, but we cannot stay there, we must move forward.

If we allow our grief, our tears to impair our progress, to muddy the waters for us, we will get lost. We need a guide. No one living in this world does so with out experiencing grief, everyone alive has cause. I am not sure how bad the prophet Elijah was in his struggle with grief; but he was pretty badly off. He was so sick of heart that a word from God, a visit by Angels and food from heaven were not enough to ease his discomfort. Yet, God still received him, comforted and loved him. God is still good and the great God of comfort, easing our afflictions.

God can and will guide us through dark days. He is a light and a lamp illuminating enough of the path for us to take the next steps. But,  As we suffer and grieve (and it is good to do so) we are helped by drawing from peace that can only come from God, who knows our pain, sees and saves our tears until the day they are reconciled and wiped away by Jesus' own hand.

Pastor John

Comments