Keeping them before the presence of the Lord.


Paul wrote in 1 Cor. 11, "follow me as I follow Christ." That has resonated deeply with me for many years. Paul understood the power of a good witness. Fathers, Mothers, we would be greatly benefited to consider Paul's words.

We need to be good examples. Our lives should witness, as much as possible the good fruit of the Spirit. By our exampling to our families who need to see us in worship, in prayer and in study of Jesus. Ardent, followers of Jesus.

In a recent Children's Sunday School class at a friends Church, the children were asked to raise their hands if they knew that their parents were Christians and why. Only a few children could raise their hands in confidence and could attest why.

This is not a call for perfect people, I realize how crushing this can be for people who are already struggling. This blog is not intended to put undo pressure on you. It is not a unrealistic character thing, rather it is a realistic faith thing. It is a call to live out our faith in the place that we can make the greatest difference and more to the point, the place to which we are ultimately most responsible, our homes.

I would normally not be so somber about this; but frankly the recent shooting in our city and the reality of the loss of life has me wondering, did that boy know Jesus? I hope so. Which is why I feel compelled to challenge you. I want our families to know Jesus, so that they can lead others to Jesus as well.

As a personal challenge, I am asking you to take time to seriously think about the state of your family's soul and your role in leading them?  Think about it enough to be compelled to ask them.

Let me share that I ask myself these very same questions. It hit me one day, many years ago, that I knew more about the condition of my car than I did my children's soul. It was extremely convicting. I was busying myself with lesser things and forgetting what was infinitely more important.

From that moment on I cared. I cared enough to talk about it with them privately. I cared enough about it to pray about it with them every night. I knew couldn't keep them from everything that they would experience in the world; but I could do somethings. I could keep them in front of the Lord's presence at Church every chance I god. I interceded for them, as often as I could. I cared enough about it to make sure that they saw me in worship, in study and in prayer.

We can't be perfect parents, Lord knows I wasn't; but I was passionate about their faith, it was a priority to me.

This is why I am resourcing you to speak to your family about faith. I know that you can do it and that you will be more blessed than you can imagine for doing it. You are the most important component to the faith of your children.

I hope that you know my heart and how thankful I am for the opportunity to pastor here in this Church. It should be no surprise to you that I love the Gospel as I do the Kingdom of God and how much I long to see each of you walk in the fullness of God's grace in every dimension of your lives.

May God's richest blessing rest on each of you and may we realize, fully, God's promise that we, and our whole house be blessed.

http://www.theviewreno.org/

Comments